Another important component to one’s holistic (whole) health, is Occupational Wellness. The term refers to finding personal satisfaction from your chosen occupation. Occupational wellness allows us to contribute to our community in a meaningful way. When we combine our passions, interests and talents with our occupation, we don’t feel like we’re working. Getting up daily to pursue work that you Love deepens our positive feelings about ourselves and our ability to impact our world. Questions related to one’s Occupational wellness may include:
- What kind of professional work aligns with my personal convictions and values?
- What do I consider to be my occupational strengths, weaknesses?
- Do I set goals that will enhance my professional performance?
- Do I possess the motivation and perseverance to reach my goals?
- Do I possess the qualities of a valued employee?
- Do I see mistakes as lessons to help you grow?
- Do I feel interested in and challenged by my work or intended future career?
- Does my current occupation challenge me?
- Do I feel I have the power to create positive change through my work?
- Do I have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills?
- Am I resourceful, do I know how to get information I need to perform my job well?
- Do I feel confident that I can learn skills needed to excel at my chosen profession?
- Do I remain open to new ideas and eager to learn new processes to improve my work?
- Do I pursue continuing education, listen to TEDX talks, attend lectures, workshops or conferences that help me grow professionally?
- Does my work allow for creative self-expression and/or opportunities to influence decision making?
- Are my feelings, opinions, and contributions appreciated and respected?
- Do I look forward to going to work, feeling a sense of purpose and reward from the contributions I make?
Occupational wellness is a key ingredient for high self-esteem and confidence in our ability to make a meaningful contribution. By taking the above inventory of your Occupational Wellness, you can identify areas you want to improve, and the action steps needed to make your desired changes happen. Consider keeping track of your progress in a wellness journal to track your progress or change your occupational path as needed.
Established in 1992, Healing Hands School of Holistic Health boasts two Certification Programs and 80+ Massage and Holistic Health classes. To date, we’ve prepared more than 7,000 Graduates for rewarding careers as Professional Massage Therapists and can do the same for you. Find out more online at www.HealingHandsSchool.com or call us at (959) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills, (760) 746-9364 in Escondido, or (858) 505-1100 in San Diego.