New Rules for Health and Happiness – Setting Boundaries

At Healing Hands School of Holistic Health, our faculty understands that personal boundaries are essential to healthy relationships and a healthy life.  That’s why from day one of Circulatory Massage Class, our Instructors discuss what setting and sustaining healthy boundaries is all about.  This is considered an important holistic health skill that many people never learn. It requires an understanding of our innate self-worth.  To set boundaries you’ll need to know what you’re willing to tolerate and what makes you uncomfortable.

Feelings of discomfort help us to identify when our boundaries are being crossed.  They are triggered when we’re being manipulated, yelled at, gas-lighted, disrespected, or lied to.  It’s your body’s way of saying “pay attention and speak up!”  For example, if anyone starts berating you, causing your stomach to knot up, you have a right and personal responsibility to stop them.  You can say “yelling won’t resolve anything!  I am willing to discuss this issue, but only if you calm down”, then remove yourself from the situation. By giving yourself permission to set boundaries and enforce them, you can weed out toxic relationships and avoid unnecessary stress and negative emotions.

Below, are several ‘new rules’ to help raise awareness of healthy attitudes and boundaries that can help you boost your health and happiness.

New Rules for Staying Healthy and Happy

• I take responsibility for my well-being by setting limits and enforcing my boundaries. I will not tolerate physical abuse, being used, mistreated, dismissed, yelled at, or manipulated.
  • I take responsibility for my well-being by removing myself from relationships and situations that prove unhealthy, abusive, or unproductive.
  • I accept that I have no control over others’ thoughts or behaviors. Letting go of a desire for it to be different brings inner peace.
  • I recognize I’m human and will make mistakes. I choose not to allow my mistakes to sabotage my self-confidence or success. I adopt a growth-oriented mindset to stay positive and try again.
  • I recognize the emotional relief and energy I reap from being my authentic self; someone with both strengths and weaknesses.
  • I allow myself to feel all my emotions, both positive and negative. Knowing that emotions are constantly changing, I can manage the temporary discomfort they may present.
  • While I recognize that negative emotions illicit a release of “negative hormones” in my body, I know pushing them down can add to their negative impact. Accordingly, I allow myself to feel and process negative emotions, then set boundaries to minimize their recurrence in my life.
  • I allow myself to feel and focus on all positive emotions. These include joy, peace, love, excitement, satisfaction, confidence, strength, empowerment, and appreciation. I recognize that positive emotions elicit a release of happy hormones like Serotonin and Dopamine which contribute to good health.  I focus on the positive and reap many health benefits.
  • I have a right to prioritize my peace, joy, sanity, health, wellbeing, and family above all else. This isn’t being self-serving it’s being self-responsible!

When you don’t protect your boundaries, your needs may go unmet. Unmet needs can lead to depression, anxiety, and compulsive behaviors. Setting healthy boundaries allows you to relax knowing you are safe. They help you connect with yourself, your own emotions, and your genuine needs. Setting appropriate personal boundaries and developing strategies to sustain them are essential self-care practices.

The educational experience offered at Healing Hands exposes one to dozens of Holistic Health practices that serve as a catalyst for personal health, intellectual growth, and wellbeing. To learn more visit us on-line at www.hhs.edu or call us at (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills, or (760) 746-9364 in Escondido, or (858) 505-1100 in San Diego.

###