Aromatherapy is a holistic health practice that uses essential oils and aromatic plant compounds to improve a person’s physical health and emotional/mental well being. Used by most ancient civilizations, Aromatherapy dates back at least 6000 years when ancient Egyptians used essential oils with massage to treat a wide array of common illnesses and conditions.
Essential oils are the aromatic compounds extracted from fragrant, medicinal flowers, fruits, leaves, roots, resins and barks of plants. These plant oils are concentrated and smell much stronger than the plant from which it was derived. Believed to stimulate brain function, hundreds of essential oils are used today to positively impact one’s mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing.
Clinical studies on Aromatherapy revealed that when essential oils are inhaled, they activate the limbic system and emotional centers of the brain. When applied topically to the skin, they activate thermal receptors and destroy microbes and fungi. Studies on various internal applications (usually in prescription form) found that they help to stimulate the immune system thereby promoting whole-body healing. Below is a list of ten common physical and emotional complaints along with the essential oils used for their treatment.
- Energy and focus: Peppermint and Eucalyptus will energize you and increase attentiveness.
- Depression and anxiety: You can improve your mood and diminish anxiety using Chamomile, Lavender, Basil and citrus scents.
- Digestive problems: Fennel, Ginger, Basil, Coriander can improve the digestive process and serve as mild laxatives.
- Insomnia: Lavender, Geranium, Frankincense, Ylang-Ylang can help calm and relax you.
- Menstrual or leg/body cramps: Lavender, Chamomile and Rose Geranium are a popular trio used to relax muscles, and reduce bruises and sprains.
- Sore Joints: Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Clove and Cinnamon create a sensation of heat that promotes pain relief and facilitates ease of movement.
- Sinus Congestion: Eucalyptus can effectively decongest the sinuses and Rosemary is used to open the nasal cavities and treat any blockage or inflammation.
- Damaged skin: Lavender, Rosemary, and Rose Geranium destroy bacteria, viral and fungal infections thereby reducing Acne, Eczema and Psoriasis.
- Infections: Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Thyme, Tea Tree and Cinnamon are powerful botanical products that will kill bacteria without promoting resistance or causing negative side effects.
- Nervousness: Frequently used alongside massage, Lavender’s sedative and tonic effects make it a great balancer of the nervous and emotional systems of the body.
To learn more about Aromatherapy or any of the other 50+ Massage and Holistic Health classes offered at Healing Hands School of Holistic Health visit us at https://hhs.edu/ or call us at 949 305-2722 in Laguna Hills or 760-746-9364 in Escondido.