Did you Know…. Defining your ‘core values’, what’s most important to you, is essential to developing self-esteem and creating healthy relationships, asked Harmony Morgan, Director for Healing Hands School of Holistic Health – Laguna Hills. “Living a life that is respectful of your own and others’ values is the key to personal health and a healthy society” she added.
At Healing Hands School, the Faculty of Healing Arts Specialists have demonstrated and inspired positive character traits among students for over 27 years. The student’s awareness and practice of these traits helps them build mental strength, endurance, and emotional resiliency. Below are just a dozen character traits that positively impact the holistic health and happiness of Healing Hands students and the clients they serve.
- Optimism – Possessing a positive mental attitude that interprets people, events and situations in a positive light. Optimistic people view their cup as half full and focus on the good in others and the world around them.
- Kindness – Being considerate, helpful and benevolent to others is an essential characteristic of a successful Massage Therapist. Kindness comes from a positive disposition and desire for pleasant interactions with others. Pleasant interactions with others, boosts the release of Serotonin and other “happy” neuro-chemicals.
- Compassion – The ability to feel deep sympathy for the suffering and misfortune of others while intending and striving to alleviate their pain. Massage Therapists enjoy great satisfaction from being able to immediately impact and diminish their client’s physical discomfort.
- Honesty – Living in ‘Truth’. Being straight-forward and trustworthy in all your interactions and relationships. This includes being honest with oneself about your talents, abilities and shortcomings. Honesty helps put others, like clients, at ease in your presence which increases their ability to relax and heal.
- Respectfulness – A core belief in the intrinsic value and worth of all people. Treating yourself and others with courtesy, kindness and dignity. It also includes the acceptance of our own and others’ inherent flaws. Respecting other’s physical and emotional boundaries is essential to becoming a trusted and effective therapeutic Massage Therapist. Respecting others supports healthy interactions which promote well-being.
- Responsibility – Holding yourself accountable for your behavior and choices. Accepting personal, career and societal obligations even when they’re difficult or uncomfortable. Acting in a responsible manner that is in alignment with our genuine values leaves us feeling guilt-free and at peace with ourselves and others.
- Perseverance – Defined as steadfast persistence and determination to carry on with a course of action despite any difficulty in order to reach a higher goal. Perseverance helps students build confidence in their ability to meet and over-come challenges. Overcoming challenges greatly increasing self-esteem which positively impacts one’s health and vitality.
- Self-Discipline – Having the ability to delay gratification or overcome desires or feelings in order to follow what you believe is right. Self-discipline comes with practice. It requires you engage in good habits, demonstrate will-power and exercise self-control in order to reach a desired goal. Practicing self-discipline increases one’s ability to direct their efforts and move more quickly toward their desired goals. Self-discipline reinforces one’s belief in their own strength and abilities, greatly reducing anxiety and worry which contribute to physical and emotional illness.
- Reliability – Doing what you say you’ll do is essential to earning trust and working collaboratively. Following through on your commitments, actions and decisions demonstrates a social conscience. Being reliable is a positive character trait inspires trust and contributes to emotional peace of mind.
- Authenticity – Being authentic means letting go of pretense and interacting as your true self. Being authentic requires vulnerability and self-awareness. Living authentically means letting go of the need or desire to influence another’s perception of you. It means interacting with sincerity, honesty and in alignment with one’s core values. Authenticity paves the way for others to be more genuine in your presence as well, contributing to healthy, healing interactions.
- Courageousness – the mental fortitude to carry out a commitment or decision you believe in despite feelings of fear, concern for danger or potential pain. The courage of one’s convictions, for example, means having the courage to do what one believes is right.
- Conscientiousness – Desire to do things well and to the best of your ability. When one is conscientious, they are careful, organized and thorough in their efforts. They receive satisfaction from giving their best to every situation or project to which they commit. The most successful Professional Massage Therapists take great pride in providing thorough, personalized care and professional treatment to every client, every session.
If you’re considering a career as a Professional Massage Therapist, consider Healing Hands. To date we’ve prepared more than 7,500 students for rewarding careers as Professional Massage Therapists and can do the same for you! Get trained and start a new career in less than 1 year! To learn more, visit us online at www.HealingHandsSchool.com or call us at (858) 505-1100 in Kearny Mesa, (760) 746.9364 in Escondido or (949) 305.2722 in Laguna Hills to schedule a no-pressure introduction and classroom tour today!