“Your client’s impression of you and your business begins the moment they enter your massage room” says Harmony Curtiss, Founding Director for Healing Hands School of Holistic Health. Earning repeat business requires you to be an excellent listener, competent Practitioner, and above all, considerate and responsive to your clients needs. Below are a list of activities and attitudes that lead to success as a Professional Massage Therapist or Body-worker…:
- Keep your massage room clean, neat, and free of offensive odors. Do consider offering soft music and aromatherapies to create a Zen-like atmosphere.
- Keep all linens are freshly washed and make sure that all pillows, bolsters and supportive wedges are sanitized regularly.
- Create and maintain Client Intake Forms that capture health issues, potential contraindications as well as treatment plans and Practitioner notes.
- Have regular hours of operation that include evening or weekend appointments to accommodate clients who work a day job.
- Establish a reasonable Massage Services Menu that describes the services that you provide and associated fees. (i.e.: $60 for an hour massage, $75 for Pre-Natal and $90 for a 90- minute massage.)
- Availability is KEY!! Make sure clients can reach you by telephone, email, and/or via automated scheduling online. Return all telephone calls within ½ hour or be prepared to lose a potential booking, or worse, a client.
- Dress for success. Women should refrain from wearing low cut, backless, sleeveless, or otherwise revealing blouses. Best bet: Yoga pants & plain colored polo shirt.
- Find a way to make your massage services stand out above others in the area. Consider specializing – Relaxation, Sports, Thai, Energy-work, Neuro-Muscular, Deep Tissue.
- Build your business by distributing promotional materials, attending community events, social media marketing, e-marketing, networking and snail mail campaigns.
- Schedule lunches with other services representatives that share potential clients. (Hair & nail salons, Gyms, Yoga Studios, Chiropractors, Doctors, Gynecologists, etc.)
- Create a professional online presence in the form of a website that promotes your image in a positive manner. It should offer information about you, your qualifications, menu of services & fees, plus any retail products you intend to sell. Testimonials from satisfied clients should also be displayed and updated regularly.
- Create a positive social media presence to gain “Top-of-Mind-Awareness”. Take care not to post anything that could negatively impact your professional reputation.
- Consider enrolling in Healing Hands Neuromuscular Triggerpoint class (coming to Laguna Hills in April) to learn advanced techniques that will distinguish you from less knowledgeable Practitioners. Clients who understand the value of the advanced therapeutic services you provide will keep their appointments and refer others happily.
Does a career as a Professional Massage Therapist sound like something you’d enjoy? If so, there’s never been a better time and no better school than Healing Hands School of Holistic Health. Healing Hands has been serving residents throughout Southern California for over 27 years. To date, their top-notch Faculty has prepared more than 7,000 students for rewarding careers and can do the same for YOU! To learn more, go online to www.HealingHandsSchool.com or call us at (858) 505-1100 in San Diego (Kearny Mesa), (760) 746-9364 in Escondido, or (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills.