If you’ve ever treated yourself to a therapeutic massage by a skilled Massage Therapist, you are aware of the many physiological benefits Massage provides. These include the release of mental stress, a reduction in muscular tension, relief from pain, and a boost to the circulatory and immune systems. What’s also interesting is that the client receiving massage is not the only one reaping benefits. In fact, Massage Therapists often report that the focused attention Massage requires along with the rhythmic strokes and techniques used, induce a meditative session for the Practitioner as well.
Massage Therapists are fortunate that their job offers many personal as well as professional rewards. Below are some surprising facts to know about the massage industry and in-demand career of Professional Massage Therapist.
- Massage Therapy is part of a holistic (whole-body) approach to wellness. Because of the benefits to the body’s Systems, Massage also reduces risk factors for a variety of serious chronic conditions. These include cardiovascular disease, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure and arthritis. Less serious conditions such as headaches, back pain, frozen shoulder, or hip and knee pain are also positively impacted by regular therapeutic massage.
- Massage Therapist do much more than simply rub people to make them feel better. Most Massage Therapists serve as advocates for their clients’ holistic health. In addition to discussing current health issues, they help clients create goals for a wellness program that can sustain. They evaluate their clients’ posture to find areas of unbalance and tension that need work. Massage Therapists also educate clients on ways to stretch and strengthen muscles as well as exercises to enhance their posture and mobility.
- Massage Therapists are in high demand! Figures from a 2014 survey by the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) showed that 15 percent of American adults received a massage during the previous year, while 29 percent had gotten a massage in the past five years. Each year these numbers grow.
- Massage Therapists enjoy a living-wage income! According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data from 2014, Massage Therapists earn a median salary of $37,180 per year. The highest 10 percent (usually operating a solo-practice) earn as much as $71,950 a year!
- Massage is therapeutic for everyone regardless of age or current health condition. According to an AMTA 2014 survey; children, teens, adults, senior citizens, Athletes, teachers, and individuals with Autism are among those who can reap substantial benefits from regular Massage therapy.
- Massage makes you feel better, plain and simple! Fifty-four (54%) percent of survey respondents reported that the primary reason they got massage was for medical reasons. Pain relief, pain management and relaxation were other top reasons. The desire for nurturing touch/pampering, rehabilitation of an injury, and maintaining fitness were other important reasons given.
- Massage Therapy is an IN-DEMAND CAREER! The job outlook for massage therapists is extremely bright! According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment growth for Massage Therapists is expected to be 26 percent from 2016 to 2026, adding hundreds of thousands of new jobs.
Does a career as a Professional Massage Therapist sound like something you’d enjoy? If so, there’s never been a better time to get started and no better school for your education than Healing Hands School of Holistic Health. Healing Hands has been serving residents throughout Southern California for over 27 years. To date, their top-notch Faculty has prepared more than 7,000 students for rewarding careers and can do the same for YOU! To learn more, go online to www.HealingHandsSchool.com or call us at (858) 505-1100 in San Diego (Kearny Mesa), (760) 746-9364 in Escondido, or (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills.