“America’s obesity epidemic is one of our country’s most serious health problems” said Harmony Curtiss, Director for Healing Hands School of Holistic Health. “According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Obesity is considered a chronic disease world-wide. Obesity is reached when one’s current weight is 20% or more than their ideal body weight. It has become a serious health issue that increases one’s risk for many chronic and debilitating diseases”, she added.
Healing Hands’ has been educating students about important holistic practices for over 27 years. Toward that end, the holistic massage school offers a 60-hour course in Holistic Nutrition (Starting February 11th in San Diego). In this course, students examine the basic nutrients in food and how it affects the mind/body connection.
Through lecture, students learn how food provides the energy needed to function and the nutrients required to build and repair body tissues, bones and muscles. Through instructor led demonstration, and sharing of delicious, healthy recipes, students design their own unique nutrition program.
Below is a list of 5 super-foods and the benefits they offer as part of a healthy, holistic meal plan.
- Acai juice – A glass or two can dramatically boost antioxidants in your blood. (Cit: Texas A&M University researchers)
- Berries – They contain strong antioxidants that may reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer and other inflammatory conditions. (Cit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26501271)
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables – Full of fiber and nutrients, green leafy vegetables may be instumental in preventing certain chronic diseases such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes. (Cit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29751617)
- Eggs– Are rich in high-quality proteins and contain unique antioxidants. Eggs contain vitamin B, choline, selenium, vitamin A, iron and phosphorus. The antioxidants Lutein and Xeaxanthin in eggs are known to protect vision and eye health. (Cit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16723441)
- Green Tea– Green tea contains antioxidants and is rich in polyphenolic compounds which have strong anti-inflammatory effects. It also contains EGCG, which protects against heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. (Cit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28864169)
Since it’s opening in 1992, Healing Hands School of Holistic Health has successfully prepared more than 7,000 students for satisfying and rewarding careers as Massage Therapists and can do the same for you! To learn more about ‘Holistic Nutrition’ or any of the other 80+ courses offered, please visit us on-line at www.HealingHandsSchool.com, or call us at (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills or (760) 746-9364 in Escondido or (858) 505-1100 in San Diego (Kearny Mesa).