An important component to one’s holistic (whole) health, is Intellectual Wellness. The term refers to the active participation in educational, cultural and interpersonal activities. Intellectual wellness allows us to expand our knowledge, skills and talents in order to live our best lives. It drives our curiosity, creative self-expression, ability to meet challenges and intellectual growth. When we are intellectually well, we have positive feelings about ourselves and our ability to impact our world.
Questions related to one’s intellectual wellness include:
- What do I consider to be my intellectual strengths?
- Do I have the confidence to set goals and overcome challenges?
- Do I handle set-backs and disappointments gracefully?
- Do I see failure as defeat, or as a lesson to be learned from that can help you grow?
- Do I demonstrate respect for myself, setting appropriate boundaries when necessary?
- Am I aware of what’s happening in our world, current events, local and global concerns/events?
- Do I have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills?
- How am I at managing and respecting my time?
- Am I knowledgeable and responsible about finances and how to manage my expenses?
- Am I resourceful, do I know how to get the information I need to make wise decisions?
- Do I feel confident that I can learn anything I put my mind to?
- Do I practice meditation, which is proven to increase IQ and relieve stress?
- Do I have personal interests or hobbies that stimulate my mind?
- Am I curious, open to new ideas and eager to try new experiences?
- Do I expose myself to travel and different cultures to broaden my understanding of the world?
- Do I pursue educational classes, listen to TEDX talks, attend lectures, workshops or conferences that are intellectually challenging?
- Do I actively question my perceptions, judgments and assumptions about the world around me?
- Am I able to express myself creatively, ie: sing, dance, paint, build, write, play music, etc.?
Intellectual wellness is a key ingredient for high self-esteem; the confidence we have in our ability to navigate and succeed in the world. By taking the above inventory of your Intellectual Wellness, you can identify areas you want to improve, and the action steps needed to make it happen. You can keep track of your progress in a wellness journal and review it to track progress or initiate revisions as needed.
Established in 1992, Healing Hands School of Holistic Health boasts two Certification Programs and 80+ Massage and Holistic Health classes. To date, we’ve prepared more than 7,000 Graduates for rewarding careers as Professional Massage Therapists and can do the same for you. Find out more online at www.HealingHandsSchool.com or call us at (959) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills, (760) 746-9364 in Escondido, or (858) 505-1100 in San Diego.