Did you know…..Yoga is a philosophy as a well as a practical science and healthcare system that has been around since ancient times? The word ‘Yoga’ comes from the Sanskrit root word Yuj which means to join. Yoga is a joining of the individual consciousness (Jivatma) with the Universal Consciousness (Paramatma). It includes specific poses combined with breath control and guided meditation.
“Yoga is an exceptional Holistic Health practice that our students at Healing Hands School of Holistic Health are encouraged to engage in daily” said Harmony Curtiss, Director for Healing Hands – Laguna Hills. “Yoga practice, whatever the form, can be used to reduce stress, nurture self-awareness, build muscle strength, increase flexibility, promote relaxation and enhance your overall wellbeing”, she added.
While there are more than 100 different forms of Yoga, most combine strengthening and stretching poses along with deep breathing and guided meditation. Ashtanga Yoga is just one Yoga style that is physically challenging and extremely therapeutic. Known as the ‘eight limbs of Yoga’, Ashtanga Yoga addresses all the aspects of the individual. It is aimed at creating harmony in the internal and external worlds.
The ‘eight limbs of Yoga’ contained within an Ashtanga Yoga practice include:
- Yama helps us harmonize our interactions with our external world. Yama consists in resisting all inclinations toward violence, lying, stealing, sexual activity, and greed.
- Niyama helps us maintain self-discipline and control of our internal world. Yamas, are recommended activities and habits for healthy living, spiritual enlightenment and liberated state of existence. They include 1) Self-Purification; cleanliness, 2) Contentment, delight, happiness, joy. An experience of acceptance of life, ourselves. 3) self-discipline or any discipline that is willingly and gladly accepted in order to bring about a change of some kind—whether it be improved health, a new habit, better concentration, or a different direction in life. 4) Self Study; an effort to know the Authentic Self (that which shines as the innermost core of your being). 5) A trustful Surrender to God. Giving ourselves over to a higher purpose.
- Asana or yoga poses help us maintaining optimum health of our physical body. Yoga poses can help strengthen muscles, enhance flexibility, massage internal organs and improve our coordination and balance.
- Pranayama which includes exercises to control our breath, can improve both our physical as well as mental health.
- Pratyahara involves methods to prepare for meditation. Pratyahara is the point where the inner journey begins.
- Dharana is the beginning state of all internal visualization techniques. It involves focus and concentration of the mind on an internal object.
- Dhyana is when your mind remains focused on the object of meditation for a prolonged period.
- Samadhi is when the practitioner goes beyond the sense of individuality when meditating and eventually experiences a oneness with the Cosmic Consciousness.
Learn more about strategies to improve your Holistic Health at Healing Hands School of Holistic Health. Founded in 1992, Healing Hands is considered a trail-blazer in education of Massage and the Holistic Healing Arts. To date, the Healing Hands Faculty has prepared more than 7,000 graduates for successful careers as Massage Therapists and can do the same for YOU! Find out if a career as a Professional Massage Therapist is right for you. call us at: (858) 505-1100 in Kearny Mesa/San Diego, (760) 746-9364 in Escondido and (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills.