- Massage Therapy as an industry grossed approximately $16 billion in 2017.
- The median income for Professional Massage Therapists in 2017 was $39,990 per year
with the top 10% earning upwards of $77,470.
- The average Revenue growth from complementary health-care providers, such as Massage Therapists, is projected to continue to grow at a rate of 4 percent per year through 2022.
- 72% of Massage Therapists become solo-practitioners seeing clients at their own home or office, or at their client’s home.
- In 2017 Solo Practitioners Massage Therapists charged an average of $72.13 for one hour of massage versus $71.64 in 2015.
- Today’s Professional Massage Therapists are 89% female, although enrollment for men gravitating toward specialties like Sports Massage is on the rise.
- The median age for Professional Massage Therapists in 2017 was 46 years old, with approximately 22% being younger than 35.
- 80% of Massage Therapists started practicing Massage as a second career. For example: Nurses, Physical Therapy Assistants, Sports Coaches/ Trainers, Pregnancy Coaches (Dulas), Yoga/Aerobics Instructors, Dance Instructors, etc.
- There were approximately 350,000 Massage Therapists working in the United States in 2017.
- Approximately 50-60 million adult Americans enjoyed at least one massage between July 2016 and July 2017.
- Employment for Massage Therapists is expected to grow at 26% (must faster than 7% average) through 2026.
- Massage Therapists work in a variety of settings including: Massage Clinics, Spas, Hospital, Medical Offices/Clinics, Health Clubs, Resorts/Cruise Ships, home/office, or client’s home.
Founded in 1992, Healing Hands School of Holistic Health is considered a trail-blazer in education the Holistic Healing Arts. To date, the Healing Hands Faculty has prepared more than 7,000 graduates for successful careers as Massage Therapists and can do the same for you. Find out if a career as a Professional Massage Therapist is right for you. Check us out online at HealingHandsSchool.com or call us at (858) 505-1100 in San Diego, (760) 746-9364 in Escondido and (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills.
Above statistical information taken from the Massage Therapy Industry Fact Sheet located online at the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) website: https://www.amtamassage.org/infocenter/economic_industry-fact-sheet.html