“Pre-Natal Massage is a therapeutic massage modality that is gaining popularity among pregnant women over the past several years, and with good reason”, said Paula Curtiss, Founding Director for Healing Hands School of Holistic Health. “Studies show that in addition to improving the health of the mother-to-be, it can improve labor outcomes and the health of the newborn infant. To ensure that our Graduates are well prepared to provide therapeutic massage to expectant mothers at all stages of the pregnancy, we offer a 30-hour course at all three Healing Hands locations”, she added.
Healing Hands next Pre-Natal Massage class will be held at the San Diego classroom located at 9025 Balboa Avenue Suite # 103, from October 2nd through October 21st with registration in September. Led by Guest Instructor, Dave Garza, the Pre-Natal Massage course focuses on how to work with the rapidly changing female body during pregnancy. Students learn about precautions for working with pregnant women and addresses contraindicated areas they need to avoid. They also learn how to position the client using pillows, breast wedges and bolsters to meet their individual needs. Through lecture, demonstration and lots of hands-on practice, students gain the knowledge and experience needed to facilitate a completely safe and deeply therapeutic pregnancy massage.
Benefits of Pre-Natal Massage:
Improved health of mother and newborn.
- “Stress Hormones” such as Nor-Epinephrine and Cortisol were reduced by as much as 30 to 40%
- “Happy Hormones” such as Dopamine and Serotonin levels were increased by 30 – 40%
- Improved circulation
- Enhanced cardiovascular health
- Fewer complications for the newborn during and after birth (ie: low birth weight)
- A significant reduction in the nerve pain often associated with late pregnancy
- Improved labor outcomes
- Relief of muscle aches and joint pain
- Releases fluids in swollen joints caused by increased pressure during pregnancy
- Increases oxygenation of muscles and faster repair of body tissue
- Reduction in anxiety and depression
- Enhanced mood and mood regulation
- Increased lymphatic drainage and detoxification
Contraindications for Prenatal Massage:
Women with the following conditions should consult a health care provider prior to receiving a massage:
- A high risk pregnancy
- Women who experienced a pre-term labor
- Women with severe swelling
- Pregnancy induced hyper-tension (PIH)
- Women with preeclampsia (a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to organ systems, often the kidneys)
- High blood pressure and/or sudden, severe headaches
- Women who recently gave birth
Founded in 1992, Healing Hands is considered a trail-blazer for education in the Holistic Healing Arts. To date we’ve prepared more than 7,000 graduates for successful careers and can do the same for you! To learn more about Pre-Natal Massage or any of the other 80+ Massage and Holistic Health courses offered visit us online at www.healinghandsschool.com or call us at (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills, (760) 746-9364 in Escondido or (858) 505-1100 in San Diego .