“Did you know, infants begin smiling within their first few weeks of life and begin laughing just months after birth” says Harmony Curtiss, Director for Healing Hands School of Holistic Health School in Laguna Hills. “Innate to the human Spirit, laughing offers a wide range of holistic health benefits. Though medical doctors instinctively used humor to distract patients from pain for centuries, today there is measurable data that documents its therapeutic value.
Below is a list of just some of the research findings that support the belief that ‘Laughter IS the Best Medicine!”, she added.
- A good laugh relaxes muscle tension throughout the body
- Laughing increases oxygen intake and exercises the heart & lungs
- Laughter has been found to improve sleep
- Laughter triggers the release of the body’s natural pain-killers (Endorphins)
- One cannot be anxious, angry or sad when laughing, therefore it naturally boosts our mood
- Laughter helps us shift our perspective, allowing us to view situations differently
- Laughter allows us to take ourselves less seriously and increases our self-compassion
- Laughter produces a general sense of well-being and empowerment
- Laughter promotes mental alertness
- Laughter increases memory and creativity
- Laughing can increase physical energy
- When we laugh, we reduce stress-related hormones (Cortisol)
- Laughter also has been found to boost the immune system
- Laughter, and the stomach contractions it creates, can relieve stomach aches
- Studies show laughter helps balance blood pressure
- Laughter is contagious, and people enjoy being with others who have a good sense of humor.
Laughing is an important holistic health practice that can help you to feel better about yourself and the world around you. Just a few minutes of laughter daily can help you to relax and recharge, relieving pain while lifting our spirits, energy and mental capacities. Best of all, laughter is available to all of us, at all times, and in almost any situation we may find ourselves.
Healing Hands School of Holistic Health has been serving residents in SoCal for over 25 years. With more than 80 Massage and Holistic Health courses plus two Certification Programs to offer, we’ve prepared more than 7,000 students for rewarding careers in Massage Therapy and can do the same for You! To find out more, please visit us online or call us at (949) 305-2722 in Laguna Hills, or (760) 746-9364 in Escondido or at (858) 505-1100 in San Diego.
Citations: 1) The University of Maryland, Laughter’s Effect on Cardiac Health, presented by the American College of Cardiology. 2) The New England Journal of Medicine, Norman Cousins and his findings as published in the book, Anatomy of an Illness.